Friday 27 January 2012

National Museum of Scotland

Me!
LOOK!  No hands!  Here, I am - all grown up, sitting on my own on a marble floor (no less) at the National Museum of Scotland, waiting for the hourly chiming of the Millenium Clock.  If you follow that link, you'll see someone else has kindly filmed it for you.   The hourly chime is a mechanised performance that lasts around 4 minutes.  Mummy and I were far too busy watching it ourselves to video it, I'm afraid.

The Millenium Clock
Besides being extremely famous and clever, the clock is important because it was my big sister, Catherine's favourite thing in the whole museum.  I was quite interested too, however it is not my favourite thing at the moment - me being somewhat more techno-minded myself, that is.

Over all, I quite enjoyed my trip.  First I had a tasty egg mayo and salad sandwich in the Balcony Cafe, and Mummy had a latte.  Then we checked out both the children's areas (a fragile planet space on the 5th floor) and the sensory area (on the ground floor next to the clock).  The Fragile Planet part has some interesting jigsaws that light up if you get them right, a big globe to spin and a fish game with a scary shark.  I had no idea what the game was all about, but I did enjoy watching the older children shriek and run away from the shark.

Downstairs, the sensory area has lots of musical instruments, some funny mirrors that make you look strange and some story-reading-cubby-holes with comfy cushions.  To be honest, by the time we got here, I was pretty much ready for my nap, but maybe I'll enjoy it more another day?

So all that's left is to tell you about MY favourite.  On the ground floor, there's an exhibit about stars and space.  Oh boy it's good.  All dark, with twinkly stars.  And a 180 degree huge screen, which runs a short film about the Big Bang and all that.  It was brilliant.  Big EXPLOSIONS... lots of light.... lots of noise!  We watched it twice.  

So back in my buggy and away home.  I'm not allowed to tell anyone, but on the way back Mummy nipped into Greggs for some change for the bus.

Chocolate biscuit?  Moi?  Don't be silly.  I'm way too young for that!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment