Sunday 22 January 2012

Great Railway Journeys

Getting up my strength 
Another busy week!  


Friday was the occasion of my first great rail journey over the Firth of Forth.  Here I am, a lady in waiting, at Haymarket Station, trying to get my strength up for the excitement to come, with a sneaky nap before we set off.  Mummy did her best to impress upon me the significance of the occasion by holding me up to the window and gesticulating wildly as the train approached the Forth Bridge.  Unfortunately, I was more interested in my first Starbucks Breakfast.  Having disposed of the croissant in timely fashion, I was still occupied investigating the bag!



Generally, my learning to eat is going quite well, though my favourite food continues to be yoghurt and bread.    This week, I have tried asparagus, strawberries, spag bol, Danish pastries from Falko (possibky the best bakery in all of Scotland), cottage cheese, pear, porridge, braised pork belly, chive sausages, steak pie, pea soup, boiled eggs and Turkish mezze.  I liked everything, except the porridge.  I did give it a fair go, but quite frankly, I prefer toast in the morning.

This week also saw an unscheduled first visit to the National Gallery.  Mummy forgot the rain cover for my buggy, so when it started to sleet as we came down the Mound last Thursday, she bumped me down St Mary’s steps at speed, and dived in.  There are about 114 steps, so together with the rain cover crime, this is probably the bad parenting equivalent of a Greggs sausage roll and a can of coke. 

Once inside, having totally failed to interest me in Turner’s Water colours, which were gifted to the gallery on the basis that they are only exhibited in the cold light of January (next year, maybe?), she moved to the Catherine tried and tested formula for small children in big galleries. It’s called Babies and Bosoms.  The object of the exercise is to see how many of each you can spy.  It’s a little disconcerting at the moment, as there’s actually a picture of St Agatha, who had her breasts cut off to prove how pious she was.  So there they are: on a plate in the foreground. Eurghh!  

Apparently, if things becomes really serious, you can also move onto spotting dogs.  We also found two lobsters.  Perhaps we can work those in for when I am older?

Anyway, I thought I would finish up with this picture of me looking gorgeous.  Apparently red suits me!


Doesn't it just!

The exhibition of Turner Watercolours is free to visit and continues until 31st January.  Older visitors may appreciate it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment