Tuesday 17 January 2012

Big Bad Bard

Burns wrote aboot Haggis
Alls the Bs today.  Today I attended my first storytelling performance at the Scottish Storytelling Centre in the Royal Mile.  All the Bs today, as the topic was Robert Burns or as the Scots would say, Oor Rabbie, who infamously wrote some impenetrable poetry aboot haggis and fieldmice.

The second B is for the storyteller.  B here definitely stands for BRAVE.  Imagine being asked to entertain twenty under 2s for forty minutes with nothing but a finger puppet hen and a model of Nessie.    All told, she did remarkably well, and the performance, although (in my humble opinion) not half as amusing as the Singing Kettle, wasn't the disaster those kill joys (like Granddad) would have predicted.  Instead, we all listened to the Scottish songs and rhymes....  I may even work my way up to a story eventually.  The story teller also has an extremely impressive wooden chair.  One needs a little drama in ones life, I think.

Inspired by the Scottishness of it all, tonight I ordered Haggis for my dinner.  Although Haggis, Scotland's national dish, is made up of sheep offal all simmered up nicely with some oatmeal and spices in a sheep's stomach, the B here is not for Bugger that... Like my Big sister, who was mightily partial to it, I actually also thought it wasnae bad at all...  Here's me pontificating on my first taste....


So, the final B is actually for Bucket List.  Mummy and I are finalising it at the moment: 100 things to do before you're 5.  It takes some time to think of the top 100 priorities, but trying haggis was definitely one of them.


Tiny Tales for babies 6 months to 2 years happens once a month at the Scottish Storytelling Centre Edinburgh and costs £6. 

1 comment: