Tuesday 14 February 2012

North West

Mother India
Last weekend we headed north-west again.  It is most certainly not my first time.  At only a few weeks old, as the train pulled into Queen Street, it is reported that I was quite beside myself - my wails would only be quitened when Mummy reassured me she had purchased a return ticket.  Now, at the grand age of 7 months, it holds no such fear, and I am absolutely the intrepid explorer. I therefore found much to amuse me and lighten the soul on the dark side of the country.

First stop was Mother India for a spot of lunch.  It's not my first curry, but it is my first Glasgow Curry, which is almost the same thing.  The tapas approach to informal friendly dining was perfect for me.  I wasn't totally over-whelmed by the pakora, but the lamb in spinach and spices was a definite must.  The friendly service even stretched to not minding me smearing my dinner over the floor.  I will be back.

Impressed?
Afterwards we nipped across the road to Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.  Considering it's a local City museum rather than a national collection it's nae bad.  Daddy likes the Dali, even though it doesn't move or light up or anything.  This is my definite favourite.  I picked it out the last time we visited, and it still delights.  This old fat geezer is apparently a famous singer.  He has a smashing halo.  Others may prefer the dog made out of wellies, but for me, it is Elvis every time!



Then we were out of the city and heading north to Loch Lomond to spend the night at the Inverbeg Inn.  The fish and chips aren't bad, but the main attraction has to be the views over the loch and across to Ben Lomond.
 Hauntingly beautiful, particularly if you head north along the A82 to Crianlarich (or so I'm led to believe, as I slept through the entire drive).  Of note for this walk was my total success at growing into my new (and most fashionable) grey snow suit.  (Thank you Gran). I look quite the biscuit, and despite the name apparently you do not need snow to wear it.  We also discovered Loch Lomond  boasts an excellent cycle path along its shore.  We didn't see any bikers, but found it most helpful for walking with the buggy.


The following day we took the high road home.  Up over the top via Crianlarich and Killin, before stopping in Callander for a lazy Sunday lunch.  Very happy to highly recommend Deli Ecosse for its family friendly relaxed dining.  It was my first Scotch Broth, but Mummy assures me it was quite excellent - tasty, fresh and bursting with veggies.  Big box of toys, roaring wood burner to keep you cosy, plenty of newspapers to keep Daddy happy (y'know how Daddy's get so restless otherwise).  And lots of tasty homemade cake - who could ask for more?

A little tour round the shops in Callendar - we bought a nice piggy wooden fridge magnet.  Mummy and Daddy have been married for 5 years - and apparently that it all you get.  Only another 45 years till gold (sigh).  Before finally stopping at Mhor Bread for a half-way decent Rhubarb pie.  And home long before bed.

A pretty good weekend all in all.


No comments:

Post a Comment