Thursday 9 February 2012

Miss Madeleine's Most Excellent Gifts



A week of chilling winds and cold February drizzle is enough to keep me inside, all cosy with Mummy and Ginger Cat, getting acquainted with my things.  It is quite amazing how quickly a little person like me can acquire stuff.  Only seven short months ago, I had virtually nothing, and now my things seem to fill most of the house.  So today, I thought I would share with you some of my most excellent gifts.

Uncle James made Rabbit and I a blanket!


First off, may I invite you to admire this excellent pink blanket, woven by Uncle James.  Yes, Uncle James actually wove this for me on his loom!  That's right - he actually has a loom in his sitting room.  I was amazed too.  It is doubly amazing as it is practically the first thing that Uncle James made, and demonstrates he is both extraordinarily clever and has remarkably good taste.  He also chose this fabulous pink colour, (Auntie Junia may have helped) which co-ordinates with lots of my outfits and with Rabbit (who was a Christmas present from Auntie Dorothy and Uncle Peter). 
River Cottage Baby!

My second treasured possession for your perusal is the River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook.  Nana Betty bought this for me when I was born, even though I wasn't really very interested in eating then.  Nana Betty has great foresight, you see!  So, since I hit six months, this gift has really come into its own.  Mummy has lots of cookbooks - I do mean lots - there are so many, that she uses them to prop up the monitor on the desktop.  (That's a very old-fashioned computing device that will be obsolete before I'm old enough to read this).   However, this book is special as it is the only book which has recipes especially for me!  Mummy likes the way each recipe comes with adaptations for little babies (like me), older babies and small children.  Apparently it means she doesn't have to think too much.  These are some Apple and Oat Muffins that Mummy made the other day - however by the far the best hit has been the breakfast pancakes.  They were delicious.  When I'm a bit older, I'll get them with a wee drop of maple syrup too, but for now, they were yummy with fresh strawberries.


Talking of my talented Nana Betty, do cast your eyes over my most excellent Fair Isles cardi.  Nana Betty knitted this for me, even though she has been poorly lately.  In fact, she has produced so many lovely cardigans and jumpers for me since I was born, I think the Inland Revenue might soon become suspicious that she is going into full swing industrial production without the relevant licenses.  She doesn't even have a loom, like Uncle James.  Maybe Granddad will buy her one?  It suits me though, doesn't it?  I think it probably means I am very, very loved, and extremely fashionable, which is rather a wonderful combination.
Talented Gran Katia can paint!


Finally, I just have to share this.  Gran Katia has painted me.  All I had to do was pose for a quick snap in my pretty red outfit, and that was sufficient inspiration for her to produce this rather flattering portrait of me.  Mummy and Daddy have been debating whether my eyes are really that blue, and whether my lips are really that red - a bit of Max Factor going on there, we suspect.  Over all I think I have one hell of a talented Gran.  I'm really looking forward to seeing her and Granddad in the summer when I can get down and messy on the beach for real.

I have some really lovely things.  How kind everyone is.  Lots of hugs and cuddles to everyone who has so generously given me such nice presents.   Mummy however has reminded me, I'm not to get too materialistic - it is never a flattering quality in a small child.  So I'm going to finish up with a little video of me getting one of the best presents of all - the gift of fun and giggles.  We are playing peek-a-boo.  Fabulous game - you should all try it!   Giggles and smiles - one of the few things that the more you give away, the more you have.


Lots of love,
Madeleine  X x



No comments:

Post a Comment